Wednesday, 27 August 2014

Teenage Spies to Fanfiction to Life-or-Death Decisions


So, as I mentioned in a previous post, I've been thinking about doing a book review post, so here it is.
I'm just going to talk a bit about the last five books I read. I will try not to include any spoilers!


Firstly, Looking For Alaska (which is my latest read). I'd previously read both The Fault In Our Stars and Paper Towns, by John Green, and absolutely loved them, so I suppose you could say I'm a fan of his work. This was not a disappointment. Without trying to give too much away, the use of foreshadowing throughout is really good and this book is just as funny as it is heartbreaking. This is the second John Green book that has made me cry. Though, nothing will beat the amount of sobbing that was caused by TFIOS

Paper Towns, again by John Green, is a funny, slightly romantic  'coming-of-age' story. It focuses on Quentin (the main character) trying to track down his neighbour-slash-girl-he-loves who has disappeared (not for the first time) and left him clues to follow. This isn't a mushy love story of any sorts and, although it remains humorous throughout, can sometimes become a bit dark. I really enjoyed this book, it definitely left me wanting more. Unlike The Fault In Our Stars and Looking For Alaska, this book will not tear your heart into pieces, glue it back together and then stomp all over it. Wow, that was graphic.

CHERUB: The Sleepwalker, is the ninth book in the CHERUB series. The series is basically about a sort of children's spy organisation (?), I'm not particularly good at describing it but I love these books. However, they could, very stereotypically, be considered boyish - which I suppose they kind of are but whatever; I like them. This particular story focuses on a suspected terrorist attack on a plane where the only lead is a phone call from an 11 (I think) year old boy accusing his father. You don't have to read the series in order but I would suggest that you do as, one of my favourite things about this series is that, the 'main' characters all have background stories that continue throughout the books.

If I Stay, is another fairly devastating book. It has recently been made into a film, which I am very excited to watch, starring ChloĆ« Grace Moretz who I really love. Luckily, there is a sequel, as, if you read this book, you will find out just how much the ending kills you. Like honestly, I read the last page three times just to make sure that that was the ending. After almost throwing the book across a room, I turned the page and realised there was a sequel, and was able to breathe again. But anyway, this book is basically about a girl who has to, after being in an accident, decide whether she wants to 'stay' or not (live or die). I'm not going to say anymore because I will ruin it.

Fangirl. Oh my gosh, I cannot describe how much I love this book. It's very well written and very realistic. Honestly, if you can relate to the title, you will probably enjoy this book. It is a love story I suppose, but again it is not at all sappy. I love this book, like seriously, it's amazing. If you know what fanfiction is this book is for you. If you don't know what fan fiction is, well of course you can still read the book. By the way, when I say fan fiction, I do not mean One Direction fan fiction (do not, I repeat, do not search for One Direction smut fan fiction, you receive smut some very inappropriate results. Unless, of course, you are into that stuff, then by all means go right ahead) this is Harry Potter-esque fan fiction. You'd understand if you read the book. I'm literally fangirling over a book called Fangirl.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe